Thursday, April 10, 2014

Designer Spotlight: Melissa Felder



Full Name: Melissa Felder

Age: 21

Hometown: Utopia, Texas

Year at Liberty: Junior

Years Doing the Fashion Show: 2

Materials being used: Tablecloth, bed sheet, book pages, recycled dress, and trash bags

Design inspiration:When I learned the theme for this year’s fashion show was, Go Green Go Glam, I knew I wanted to make two garments from mostly unconventional materials so, I could experience some of the challenges that these materials would give. My inspiration came from the best place anyone could go in moments of a material inspiration crisis, Pinterest. Scrolling down the pages, I came across several that contained crafts made from recycled books. I loved the texture and color of the pages, and I knew that I wanted to use then in my designs.
The inspiration for my second design, oddly enough, came from the expression, “She would make a trash bag look good.” The phrase is talking about the girl and how she could put on anything and still make it look good, even a trash bag. However, I wanted to see if I could manipulate the bag in such a way that it made the model wearing it look better. The texture, luster, and versatility of the bag also added to my desire to create something from this kind of material.

Favorite part about participating so far: My favorite part about participating so fas has been seeing where I could go when there are no limitations to what you can use. Also, I loved meeting all the other designers and seeing everyone create something totally different.

Who are your models?  Carly Schneider and Chelsey Wolf



No comments:

Post a Comment